Services for Low-Income Seniors

An elderly man in front of a single-family housea home being painted


We offer many services for low-income seniors (or people with disabilities) to ensure they are living under healthy and safe conditions in their homes. We invite you to look through our programs and services that cater to your needs. If you don’t find what you need, please call our toll-free hotline at     (866) 557-RENT (7368) or visit one of our public counters located throughout LA. 

Handyworker Program

The Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department (HCIDLA) Handyworker Program has been addressing the housing needs of low income seniors and persons with disabilities in the City of Los Angeles since the 1970’s.  Handyworker clients have typically exited the workforce and therefore have limited opportunities to increase their income. In most cases, they have owned their homes for several decades, have limited resources for maintaining their aging homes, and may not be able to perform do-it yourself home repair and maintenance.

The Handyworker Program provides free minor home repairs and/or improvements to eligible homeowners that address basic health, safety, security, and accessibility issues of owner-occupied, single family homes or condominiums/townhomes.  These repairs/improvements help preserve the City’s aging housing stock, prevents accidents in the home, and allows seniors and persons with disabilities to remain in their own homes, preventing premature institutionalization. Safety and security device improvements only are available to eligible renters as well.

Minor Home Repairs


  • Homeowners 62 years and older, or
  • Homeowners with a permanent disability, or
  • Homeowners living with family members with disabilities (limited repairs)
  • Renters, 62 years and older, or with a permanent disability (limited repairs).
  • Low Income persons



      Household Size

1 person

2 persons

3 persons

4 persons

5 persons

6 persons

7 persons

8 persons

      Maximum Income









The Handyworker Program uses the "low income" limits published by the U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development for its Section 8 program.


  • PROOF OF AGE 62 OR OLDER (eg: CA ID, CA Drivers ID )
  • PROOF OF PERMANENT DISABILITY (if not senior 62 or older)
  • PROOF OF INCOME ( eg: social security award letter, pay stubs, pension , etc)
  • PROOF OF OWNERSHIP (eg: property tax statement, grant deed, Mobile Home Registration) 
  • PROOF OF RESIDENCY (eg:recent utility bill)



  • Single-family home that property owner lives in
  • Duplex owner lives in one
  • Condominiums, town homes or co-ops that property owner lives in
  • Stationary mobile units that property owner lives in (e.g., manufactured homes)
  • Multi-family rental apartments (limited repairs offered)


  • Up to $5,000 for minor repairs;
  • Limited repairs for safety & devices (up to $300) 



  • Improvement that correct Health & Safety deficiencies including;
    • Repair/replace-doors, windows, quick release for bedroom window security bars
    • Exterior repairs-fences, gates, porches, steps, walkways
    • Interior repairs-flooring, minor wall/ceiling repairs
    • Safety-smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors
    • Minor electrical repairs: light fixtures, outlets, switches
    • Minor plumbing repairs/replacement: faucets, toilets, water heater
    • Accessibility improvements-ramps, hand rails, grab bars
    • Earthquake Safety-Brace water heater, Seismic gas shutoff valve
    • Exterior Building repairs-Gutters, vents, siding, trim, fascia, stucco patch
    • Painting-interior & exterior
    • Installation of safety & security devices for renters: hand held showers, bath/shower seats, grab bars.


    • Clients with a recent disability in immediate need of accessibility improvements (e.g., wheelchair ramp) to access his or her home;
    • Repairs to address immediate threats to the health and safety of the homeowner (e.g., no working toilet in the home, or home recently burglarized and doors or windows are broken);
    • Repairs to address code violations that are within the Program’s scope of services


What kind of repairs can we NOT do?

  • Major electrical, major plumbing, roofing, foundation and retaining walls
  • Landscaping, tree trimming or removal
  • Repair or replacement of furniture, furnishings, appliances
  • Repairs or painting of detached garages
  • Lead abatement, house cleaning, and pest control

How to apply

  1. Collect the following documents:
    • Documents showing your age and disability status: photo ID and SSI letter from the Social Security Administration stating disability status
    • Documents showing your income from all sources: Social Security Administration award letter, Workers Compensation disability statement, pay stubs, rental receipt, dividend income statement, etc.
    • Documents showing your property ownership: property tax bill, trust agreement, co-owner’s death certificate, etc.
    • Documents showing you live in that property: utility bill
  2. Call us at one of the following numbers to find the nearest community partner that can help you with your application:
    • Call (213) 808-8803, (213) 808-8918
    • Call our toll-free hotline at (866) 557-7368
    • For the hearing impaired, call (213) 473-3231 (TTY) 

Once we have located a partnering agency close to you, you can go to the agency’s office in person to submit an application with the documents listed under “How to apply, Step 1)”. Please note we get more applications than we are able to accommodate. There may be a waiting list for service. All work is subject to availability of funds. Program policies are subject to change.