Free Tax Prep
Free Tax Prep LA made easy!
The City of Los Angeles offers its residents the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), a federal program which offers free tax help to people who generally make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals at various Family Source Centers throughout Los Angeles. File at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site and keep more of your money.
How Use to the Free Tax Preparation Service
Claim what’s yours! If you make less than $55,000, you may qualify for up to $9,310 cash back in combined state and federal earned income tax credits -- but only if you file.
Make a Free Tax Prep appointment today. See hours and locations. Call the Family Source Center near you, and make an appointment using the contact information provided on this list.
For a full list of dates and locations for Free Tax Prep Services at select LAUSD schools, visit www.lamayor.org/FreeTaxPrep.
Preparing for Your Tax Filing
What to Bring to For Your Tax Filing
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
About Family Source Centers
WHAT IS FAMILY SOURCE?
The FamilySource System is comprised of a network of 16 one-stop community centers, known as FamilySource Centers (FSC). The FSCs are located in high need areas of the City and provide a myriad of braided social, educational, work and family support services designed to assist low-income families to become more self-sufficient by increasing family income and academic achievement for youth and adults.
FREE SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Multi-Benefits Screening
- Information and Referral
- Case Management
- Financial Education and Coaching
- Credit Building
- Income Tax Preparation
- Incentivized Savings Programs
- Adult Education
- Computer Literacy
- ESL Classes
- Pre-Employment and Employment Support
- Immigration Services
- Parenting Classes
- College Corner
- Leadership Training
- Art & Cultural Activities
- Civic Engagement
The FSCs also host various community meetings, special events and activities, and provide volunteer opportunities for residents.
WHO FAMILYSOURCE CENTERS SERVE?
Low-income city residents with primary focus on families with children in middle and/or high school
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING TO ACCESS SERVICES:
- Proof you live in the City of Los Angeles
- Proof of Income
|Boyle Heights • El Centro de Ayuda
|El Sereno/Lincoln Heights • Barrio Action Youth & Family Center
|Echo Park/Cypress Park • El Centro del Pueblo
|Hollywood • Youth Policy Institute
|North Valley • New Economics for Women
|Pacoima • El Nido Family Centers
|Southeast • All People’s Community Center
|Southeast/Watts • Watts Labor Community Action Committee
|Southwest • El Nido Family Center
|Southwest/Florence • The Children’s Collective, Inc.
|Van Nuys • New Economics for Women
|West Adams • 1736 Family Crisis Center
|Westlake/Pico-Union • Central City Neighborhood Partners
|West Los Angeles • Latino Resource Organization
|Wilmington/San Pedro • Toberman Neighborhood Center
(310) 832-1145 ext. 106
|Wilshire • P.F. Bresee Foundation
Find a Family Source Center Near You!