Tenant Management and Occupancy Monitoring

Three women in front of a brick building.

If you are a property owner and you have one or more regulatory agreements recorded against your property, you must perform certain property management responsibilities for your property. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: tenant selection; certification of household income; preparation and enforcement of leases and rental agreements; affordable rent calculations; maintenance of a tenant waiting list; rent collection; providing reasonable accommodations and ensuring accessibility for tenants with disabilities; facility and ground maintenance; and, security. Learn more about the property management resources on this page.


  • Keep your contact information up to date with us. You may complete and send over your updates using the Property Management Update Form
  • Get in touch with Urban Futures Bond Administration, Inc. (UFBA), our partner housing compliance firm, who will guide you to all required documents, submission deadlines and annual rent and income schedule updates for your affordable housing units. You may visit UFBA at http://www.ufbahc.com
  • HCIDLA's Fair Housing Policy in Regard to Disability must be adopted and implemented in all housing development with a regulatory agreement. All owners are required to keep a Property Management Plan that reflects a commitment to affirmatively further the fair housing rights of individuals with disabilities. You can find the HCIDLA guidance on this topic here.
  • If you are a developer/owner of a project, you must submit a Property Management Plan to describe how the property will be managed to meet all of the responsibilities in the regulatory agreement(s). HCIDLA monitors all Regulatory Agreements for the entire “term of affordability” as stated in a  agreement or covenant regardless of the loan term, loan repayment or transfer of property ownership.
  • If you need assistance in income verification for your tenants, use this self-study guide for explanations of the sources of income when conducting income verification. This guidebook is published by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and available here


  • Learn more about Land Use covenants here
  • Click here for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) website and find information on the program and about NSP-assisted rental projects http://hcidapp.lacity.org/nsp/
  • Monitoring Policies for properties subject to Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles (CRA/LA) covenants (CRA/LA Rent/Income Schedules, Occupancy Rent Increases Letter, and Annual Report Regarding the Low and Moderate Income Asset Fund for 2013-2014)


Please submit your applications to:

E-MAIL:         HCIDLA.OccMonitor@lacity.org

FAX:               (213) 808-8606

MAIL:            Los Angeles Housing + Community Investment Department (HCIDLA)
                        ATTN:  Loan Portfolio Unit
                        1200 W. 7th Street, 8th Floor
                        Los Angeles, CA 90017 

HAND-DELIVERED: The HCIDLA Public Counter – 1st floor at the address above.

To speak with HCIDLA staff about occupancy monitoring, please call (213) 808-8806, or  3-1-1 for TTY.