Custodian of Records

The Custodian of Records group coordinates the retrieval and production of documents in response to subpoenas and California Public Records Act (CPRA) or Freedom of Information Act requests received by the Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department (HCIDLA).

Please review the Frequently Requested Records section below to see if the records you are seeking are already available online. If not you may request records from us using the California Public Records Act (CPRA). The Custodian of Records group also accepts the service of subpoenas on behalf of HCIDLA for witness appearances and/or documents.  If you have questions that are not answered below regarding CPRAs or Subpoenas, please contact our Custodian of Records group at (213) 922-9612. Due to technological changes, if TTY is needed to contact us, please use Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS).  For more information on TRS services visit;

Frequently Requested Records

Certain frequently requested records maintained by HCIDLA are available online and do not require a CPRA request. To access these online records, please click on the links below:

  • Foreclosed Properties List [a dataset posted on the Mayor's Open Data webpage]
    The Registered Foreclosure Property list is a listing of all foreclosure properties listed with HCIDLA.
  • Property Activity Report [a searchable database]
    The Property Activity Report is a brief summary of Code Enforcement inspections that have occurred regarding a specific property since 2006 (though some records may be available from earlier years as well). Searches can be conducted by property address, Assessor Parcel Number (APN), or case number. If more information is required than what is offered by the summary, please submit a CPRA Request as noted below, citing the relevant case number(s) as appropriate.

For all other HCIDLA records, please submit a CPRA request as noted below.

California Public Records Act (CPRA) Requests

(Para asistencia en español sobre Ley de Registros Públicos de California-CPRA, por favor llame al (213) 922-9612 o por correo electrónico

The public may make CPRA requests by submitting this CPRA Records Request Form [Spanish-language form: Ley de Registros Públicos de California – Formulario de Solicitud] online, or by using one of our alternate methods of submission*. A fee schedule is provided on the form. (If your records request involves a specific Code Enforcement inspection, please use the Property Activity Report webpage to obtain the case number(s) specific to the inspection(s) prior to completing the CPRA Request Form. Please indicate any relevant case numbers in your records request.) Please note that the CPRA only applies to existing records held by HCIDLA. Requests for information (e.g. questions, clarifications, etc.) are not subject to the CPRA and should instead be directed to HCIDLA’s public information hotline at (866) 557-7368 to be forwarded to the appropriate staff member.

Pursuant to the California Public Records Act, a CPRA request will be responded to within ten days of receipt by the Custodian of Records. This response will comprise either an invoice for the production cost of the records requested or an explanation from the Custodian of Records as to why the records are not currently available.

* Alternate methods of CPRA Request Form submission

Submitting a CPRA Request Form online typically results in faster processing of your request and is the preferred submission method. Alternatively, the same form can be printed and submitted via one of the following methods:

  • via email as a PDF file to
  • via US Mail to:
    1200 W 7TH ST STE 450
    LOS ANGELES CA 90017
  • via fax to (213) 808-8404
  • in person at one of our HCIDLA public counters


Subpoenas for documents may be served upon the Custodian of Records via US Mail or in person at the HCIDLA Main Office only and should be accompanied by a check for $15 payable to the "City of Los Angeles". This $15 deposit will be applied toward the material cost of complying with the subpoena incurred by HCIDLA. Additional charges may be assessed if a large volume of documents is produced.

To ensure accurate record keeping, we request that subpoenas for witness appearances [any HCIDLA employee] be served upon the Custodian of Records. Witness subpoenas should be accompanied by a $275 check payable to the "City of Los Angeles". This $275 is considered a prepayment for the appearance. Government Code 68096.1(b) states "The party at whose request the subpoena is issued shall reimburse the local agency for the full cost incurred by the local agency in paying the employee his or her salary or other compensation and traveling expenses as provided for in this section, for each day that the employee is required to remain in attendance pursuant to the subpoena. The amount of two hundred seventy-five dollars ($275), together with the subpoena, shall be tendered to that local agency for each day that the employee is required to remain in attendance pursuant to the subpoena." Accordingly, if the $275 prepayment does not cover the full cost of the witness appearance, the Custodian of Records will invoice the subpoenaing party for the balance of the amount owed.

Serve Subpoenas at our main office located at:

1200 W 7TH ST., STE 100

NOTE: Pro pers (non-lawyers) can only issue subpoenas with a court clerk stamp prior to service.  Witness fees can be waived, if fee waiver form is provided and signed off by the court.

HCIDLA will require at least three-business-day advance notice for the service of all witness subpoenas. In addition, certain subpoenas require a greater minimum amount of notice (usually 15 or 20 days; please see the subpoena itself for the exact requirements).

Records Not Available from HCIDLA

The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) and Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) are separate agencies from HCIDLA and as such have different Custodians of Records. For HACLA contact information, please refer to the HACLA website. The LADBS Custodian of Records can be reached at (213) 482-6770 or you may refer to the LADBS website for further contact information.