The application period for the 2021 COVID-19 City of Los Angeles Emergency Renters Assistance Program has ended.
Unfortunately, due to the extensive economic impact of COVID-19, the demand for rental assistance has greatly exceeded the available funds. If you have any questions regarding the program, please visit the FAQs. Should additional funds become available, information will be publicized on this site.
The City of Los Angeles, in partnership with the State of California and the federal government, has created the 2021 COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) to assist residential renters who have been unable to pay their rent as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Los Angeles Housing + Community Investment Department (HCIDLA) is charged with the implementation of the ERAP.
To be eligible, a household must be obligated to pay rent on a residential dwelling and meet the following requirements:
|Income Level||1 Person||2 Persons||3 Persons||4 Persons||5 Persons||6 Persons||7 Persons||8 Persons|
|Extremely Low (30%)||$23,700||$27,050||$30,450||$33,800||$36,550||$39,250||$41,950||$44,650|
|Very Low (50%)||$39,450||$45,050||$50,700||$56,300||$60,850||$65,350||$69,850||$74,350|
|Family Size||Extremely Low (30%)||Very Low (50%)|
Eligible applicants will be chosen through a random selection process to participate in the program. The program is required to give priority to paying past-due, unpaid rent. If selected, the program can pay 80% of a tenant’s past-due rent for the period of April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, but only if the landlord agrees to waive the remaining 20%.
If a landlord does not agree to these terms, the program can pay 25 percent of the tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent, as well as up to 25 percent of the tenant’s upcoming future rent, for 3 months. These rules are in alignment with regulations established by Senate Bill 91.
Check application status below:
(For submitted applications)STATUS LOOKUP
If you are NOT a City of LA resident, visit the State website (housingiskey.com) to apply for the California COVID-19 Rent Relief Program.
For questions regarding your application, please call the
ERAP hotline (833) 373-0587
available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
TTY line (for hearing or speech impaired): (888) 705-5768
*Subject to funding availability, the City may open future applications to renter households with incomes up to 80% of AMI.
> Regardless of participation in any rental assistance program, all tenants impacted by COVID-19 are still protected by both city and state emergency renter protections currently in effect.
> The ERAP is for City of L.A. residents only. Tenants who live in the greater LA County area (87 cities), but do not live in the City of L.A., can apply for rental assistance with the State of California at: housingiskey.com.
Please be aware of scammers. City employees will not ask you for personal information, such as your Social Security Number, over the telephone related to this Initiative. Please use a secure means to transmit personal contact information to the City for this Initiative.
Any personal information provided to the department may be considered public records subject to public disclosure by requesting parties, pursuant to the California Public Records Act, though certain confidential information may be redacted prior to disclosure to requesting parties.
The City of Los Angeles is not responsible for any damages that may arise from the use of, the inability to use, or misuse of the web site and/or materials contained on the web site, or that result from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files, errors, defects, delays in operation, or transmission, or any failure of performance.
This is a donation page (not application for assistance). HCIDLA is accepting donations to assist renters/landlords with rent. Your kind donation will help low-wage workers who are facing extreme economic hardship due to COVID-19. Donations to this fund will assist renters in the City of Los Angeles to be able to stay in their homes.CLICK HERE TO DONATE
To assist residential renters who have been economically impacted by the Coronavirus, the Mayor and the City Council have adopted tenant protections on evictions and rent increases in the City of Los Angeles.COVID-19 Resources